#MSIgnite and Microsoft Lists Announcements
SharePoint lists have been around for 20 years, and now they have been re-branded as “Microsoft Lists” and DRASTICALLY improved. I created a video last month during my SharePoint Power Hour, Microsoft Lists First Look if you’d like to see that demo and explanation.
This week during Microsoft Ignite’s virtual conference, there have been several exciting announcements around Microsoft Lists. Pretty awesome stuff! They are everything you always wanted SharePoint lists to be! Here are some of my favorite takeaways:
- There’s a new modern, improved calendar view.
- Lists can have running comments on items, which is much improved from the way it used to work.
- Lists can be worked on inside of Microsoft Teams
- Lists can be beautiful, with colors, conditional formatting, etc.
- The datasheet view / quick edit view is re-branded as “Grid view” and has been improved.
- Lists can be taken offline!
- There are several helpful (and lovely) list templates to pick from, drastically improved from the classic list templates.
- Pick colors and icons to represent each list.
- There is a new rule builder! This is much more simple than a flow, much more geared to business users.
- There is a new form designing interface! You can design your SharePoint list forms in a simplified editor, not Power Apps.
- The list mobile interface has been improved to make it less clunky, more optimized for mobile.
- There is a way to look at list items as tiles instead of just rows down the page, referred to as a gallery.
All of these improvements aren’t in the product right this minute, but it looks like at least half of them are already in my tenant. Can’t wait to dig in!
Here are some of Microsoft’s videos about lists:
- Get started with Microsoft Lists by Lincoln DeMaris and Bharath Manoj Manda
- Microsoft Teams ❤ Microsoft Lists by Michael W. Lam and Ansuman Acharya
- Organize business information with Microsoft Lists by Miceile Barrett and Niket Jain
- Designing the Microsoft Lists experience by Ben Truelove and Christopher Wymer
- Working with files and lists in Microsoft Teams by Mark Kashman
Also, check out Jeff Teper’s session at Ignite called Enabling collaboration, communication, and knowledge sharing with Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Project Cortex and more. There are several re-plays of this session, and of course it’s recorded and you can watch any time. He goes over Microsoft Lists and a bunch of other awesome SharePoint-related big announcements!
I’ll be live today in my session at Ignite Power Apps from woe to Go, which is a half-hour “Table talk”, an informal talk and Q&A with other Power Apps experts: Nick Doelman, Eric Suave, Geetha Sivasailam, and Shane Young.
Here’s my video demo last month, and note that all of the features that I mentioned above hadn’t been rolled out yet in Microsoft Lists.